Friday, March 9, 2012

Winter is ending.


What a great two weeks! There have been so many learning opportunities, as well as preparing the vineyard for the upcoming season.


Last Tuesday, I pruned young viognier vines with Jake at Mount Juliet Vineyards. It certainly is helpful to read and apply independently with my own vineyard. It was significantly *more* beneficial to study under an expert. I have been pruning my own vines since 2009, but Jake helped to direct me and show the errors in my thinking. I really appreciate his holistic view, and long term vision for his vineyard. It was hard work, and I slept well that night!


This Tuesday, I attended the Integrated Pest Management symposium at King Family Vineyards. Dr Mizuho Nita and Tremain Hatch discussed current fungus, bacteria, and insect invaders, as well as how to deal with the problems. Spotted wine Drosophila makes my blood boil! It was also fantastic to discuss wine growing and winemaking with true central Virginia experts. I poured my cabernet franc/chambourcin blend for some winemakers, and received very helpful guidance.


And of course, I pruned Firstfruits Vineyard. I certainly do see Phomopsis cane in my vineyard, which will be appropriately addressed (in petit verdot, but not petit manseng). So much to learn. I'm glad I'm starting on such a small scale, to limit expensive mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment